Monday, December 19, 2011

Sewing tip - Sheer Fabric

     I'm interrupting the obligatory Christmas related posts to give you a quick sewing tip. You're due for one you know, its been like a month! So here it is, recently I made a few things out of sheer fabric for my Etsy shop. Sheer fabric is very pretty, but can be quite the headache to sew! It tends to pucker and snag, and it can be tricky to get seams to lay flat. Hemming it is even worse! My solution...burn it!


     No really! If your fabric is 100% polyester, you can take a lighter and very CAREFULLY melt the edges. This keeps it from fraying and preserves the airiness of the fabric. No puckers and no seams to interrupt the visual flow of the fabric. On light colors, you need to be very careful not to burn the fabric, because it will show. You want to melt it only!


      Disclaimer: I cannot be held responsible for burnt appendages, incinerated garments, and or damaged goods of any kind! =)
     By the way, did you know it is only five more days 'till Christmas??!! Agh! To all distant family and friends, I'm going to the post office today, I promise!

 2 Samuel 22:31 As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all them that trust in him.

3 comments:

  1. I like the idea of burning the edge. Will it work on stretch sheer fabrics? Am presently looking for a way to finish the edge on a stretch sheer fabric craft without loosing too much stretch. Help!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the polka dots blouse pattern is what I am looking for...Where can I find the pattern of that beautiful blouse?

    ReplyDelete