Monday, February 6, 2012

Quickest, cheapest upcycle - no sewing required!

        Have you ever bought something, and then not wear it? Something about it, maybe, was just a little "off"...or it didn't really match anything? Ever thought of dying it? As in, change the color! Let me illustrate. I had this jacket, purchased on sale for $5. I liked that it was thin, and I liked the more rustic feel...but the color just wasn't working. It made everything look drab when I wore it.


      Ten minutes of soaking in this...


      turned it into this.


      Its just enough to add a tinge of color to an outfit without over powering it.


      My suggestions for dying things?
  1.  Pick a color that goes well with your existing wardrobe.
  2. Dissolve the dye really well in a small amount of water before mixing it the bigger amount. It will leave spots on your clothes if you don't.
  3. Stir you clothing around the whole time its soaking...this helps the color take evenly.
  4. Don't forget that color is always darker when its wet...if you want a vivid color, soak it for longer than you think you should
      Also, be aware the already made clothing, like this jacket, will not absorb as much color at the seams. Don't go for it, if you aren't ok with that. You can see the seams are a bit less pinkish here.


      I liked the more shabby look that lent, so I'm happy with the overall result.


      By the way, I'm sure I'm the last person on the planet to sew with ruffled fabric...but after making that shirt, I'm offically obssessed. If you haven't tried it yet...go. now. You will love it.

Proverbs 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.
Pin It

1 comment: