Monday, February 13, 2012

Tablecloth skirt and faux boot socks


     I must be feeling very generous today, because I'm here to give you two fabulous tips...all in ONE blog post. A two for one deal, and on a Monday no less! I'm extra mournful this Monday...we had a cold snap that destroyed all my newly planted flowers on my deck. I am devastated. One week. One week is all I got to enjoy them before they are already dead. Plants must shriek in terror when I purchase them. They know they are going to certain death. Its tragical really. My consolation are these two remarkable epiphanies I had regarding my wardrobe.
      Epiphany #1. If you happen to have a vintage table cloth that has a massive stain, preventing you from actually using it as a table cloth...you can very easily cut out the stain, and turn it into a stylish new skirt.


      You are guaranteed to insanely love your new creation.


       You will enjoy the lovely pattern, and enjoy the fact that you didn't have to hem it even better.


     So much so, you might even give a twirl when no one is watching.


     Epiphany #2. Cut sleeves off of unwanted sweater. Wear sleeves, cuff up, on legs to look like boot socks.



      Chuckle smugly to yourself, that you are wearing a table cloth and sleeves, and no one knows your secrets. Unless of course you choose to broadcast it to the whole world on your blog...in which case, it is no longer a secret and now everyone you know, plus a whole bunch you don't know, are free to laugh at you too.


      But you won't care, I promise.
    In case you'd like to give it a go, here are some specifics. The skirt is a basic circle skirt lined with tan satin with a zipper. Herhum...lets not inspect that zipper too closely. It is there, and it functions...but it may not be the prettiest zipper instillation I've ever seen. If you need help with circle skirts go here. Keep in mind that tutorial is for an ELASTIC waisted skirt...so if you are sewing one that is intended to be a zippered one, don't add in the extra inches. The boot socks are from a light pink sweater I got on dollar day at the thrift store. A tutorial for the pink ruffled scarf can be found here and I also sell them in my Etsy shop.


      And so concludes my two for one day. I'm off to morn and lament for my flowers, and to comfort myself with chocolate. Have a wonderful week!

Nahum 1:7 The LORD is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble; and he knoweth them that trust in him.

linking to:
Between naps on the porch
The Southern Institute
The Girl Creative
Brassy Apple
Homemaker on a Dime
Singing three little birds
Home Stories A to Z
My girlish whims
The Freckled Laundry
Someday Crafts
Funky Junk Interiors

Pin It

33 comments:

  1. I love it!!! I think its beautiful and so creative of you.. I really like it with the boots, a great look.
    Have a sweet day, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yhao has rigorous quality controls to ensure that each product complies with our standards. Our after-sales service deals with every possible problem. We will not sleep without solving all your questions as fast as possible. An unsatisfied customer is a shame for us and a dishonor for the brand. https://wholesalesocksbulk.com/wholesale/custom-womens-lace-boot-socks/ 

      Delete
  2. That is so clever! It looks great! New follower from Creative Blogger Hop

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOOOOOOOVVVVVEEEEEE that skirt!!!!! I am now on the lookout for an amazing tablecloth to turn into my own darling skirt! Thanks for the idea:)
    The sleeve socks are a great idea, too!
    Saw you on Brassy Apple

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your skirt is adorable and I love the boots with (sweater)socks. You are so creative; I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. seriously?? that skirt is AMAZING so so adorable! what a fabulous idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice post. Now you can use this b2b sites in india list to promote table linen import & export business.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty! I may have to try this myself...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am practically hyperventilating over that skirt, Abby! I'm already a huge sucker for crochet, but to have a crochet skirt?!? LOVE IT! So glad I found your blog through Air Your Laundry Friday (I'm link #50)--looking forward to reading more of your sewing and furniture painting posts!

    Take care,
    Erin @ Carolina Country Living

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea, I love the idea of swishing around in that gorgeous skirt

    ReplyDelete
  10. How creative! I am your newest follower. Hope you will join me over at my blog palace! Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  11. The true tragedy, and it is easy to cut out the stain, and turn it into a fashionable new skirt. Nice blog, very informative for me. Thanks for blogging.

    Table Linen

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a great design! You have one of a kind creations..New follower.


    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous skirt! I would never have known it was a remake!!!Following you!
    Blessings,Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the skirt and the boot socks too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your skirt looks so good! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome idea! Crocheting would have taken DAYS--I like your version much better :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Genius ideas!! Love the skirt and the sock cuffs!! Thanks for the ideas!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow this is beautiful! I would love to have one!
    New Follower over from Someday Crafts! Congrats on your feature!
    Jen @ F5

    ReplyDelete
  19. Simply marvelous! I'm a new follower:)
    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is stunning!! Gonna need to find a tablecloth!! ;) Would love for you to link up to our Uncommonly Yours ;link party! Bonnie

    www.uncommondesignsonline.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I found you through Refashion Files...so glad I did! Love these projects. If you're looking for another place to share your creativity, check out Etcetorize (http://etcetorize.blogspot.ca/2012/05/make-it-great-monday_27.html) I have two great linky parties that your skirt would fit into perfectly. Would love to see you there~

    ReplyDelete
  22. I absolutely love this skirt! I have been wanting a crochet skirt for awhile but just wasn't sure how to do it...what a brilliant idea!

    Helen
    Blue Eyed Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you so so much for this idea. I used an old stained tablecloth just like you suggested and I LOVE IT! Cutest skirt I've ever owned and I made it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Toԁау, I ωent to the bеаchfront wіth my kiԁs.
    I found a seа shell and gаve it to my 4 yеar old daughter and said "You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear." She ρut
    the shell to her eаr аnԁ sсrеаmеd.
    There was a heгmit crаb inside аnd іt
    pinсhed her ear. Shе never wants to go bаcκ!
    LoL I knoω this is tοtally οff topiс but I haԁ tο tell someone!


    Αlso visit my web-site: DiamondLinks.net
    Also see my web page > DiamondLinks.net

    ReplyDelete
  25. Adorable! I have a stained tablecloth that I've been wanting to make a loose jacket out of. Glad to see that it can be done! The thing that's kept me from it is wondering how to finish the seams, so that the whole thing doesn't disintegrate. I'd be most grateful if you'd share any tips!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Pamela,
    I just used my serger to sew all the inside seams and used the finished edges for the hem. If you don't have a serger, maybe french seams would work?
    Good luck!
    Abby

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wear sleeves, cuff up, on legs to look like boot socks. ... bootsocks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for a great post. Amazing

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for a great post. Amazing

    ReplyDelete