Monday, April 2, 2012

Pattern mix top

   
      So, how do you feel about pattern mixing? I've seen enough examples of it done right, that I've been won over. I personally like it best when its limited to a specific color pallet for both patterns. I've never actually sewn anything with contrasting patterns, so I decided to give it a go with this very simple shirt.



      The shirt itself is beyond simple. It is just a rectangle with a neck hole. I cut out a triangle of the front piece and used the cut out as the pattern for the polka dot piece. The neckline has small lines of elastic thread sewn onto it and across the sleeves. It gathers the neckline just a bit.



    I think it adds just the right touch to make it a little dressier.


       Overall, I like it. The contrasting panel takes an average shirt and makes it classy, and unique.

   
      Now that I'm looking at in the screen here, I'm thinking I could be persuaded to like it with yellow polka dots too...or maybe turquoise. OK, so maybe different colors and different patterns can go together...hey, one step at a time! If you give this a try, I would suggest trying to find two fabrics similar in weight to sew together. That striped fabric is lightweight knit, and the polka dot is a thin polyester. They both have nice drapes, and I didn't have a whole lot of trouble with seam puckering. I used a serger to sew them together which also really helps keep the seam smooth. I would love to find some pretty floral knit and try it with polka dots...hmm must go fabric shopping! This design will be available for purchase in my Etsy shop.
    

       By the way, thank you to the dear soul who donated that perfectly wonderful skirt to the thrift store...I enjoyed immensely that it cost me only $1, and I also enjoy the color tremendously! Bless you!
       I really like that this shirt is pretty versatile, you can dress it up or down.


      I also like how the panel adds a vertical line, which is more flattering than a straight horizontal one.

       This is my third top go into the Spring Top Contest over at Made by Rea. Four is the limit, so I have one more to dream up...fun fun! It's great to have some motivation to try out some of these ideas I've had kicking around in my head for a while. It is also good for my shop to get some fresh stuff in it, fun sewing and shop sewing all in one shot! Can't complain about that!

Philippians 4:6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE to mix patterns. I never thought of doing my own. I think it would be cute to do the mix pattern and color blocking together. I'd love if you could come link up at my first ever Tutorial Tuesday at Our Thrifty Ideas http://www.ourthriftyideas.com/2012/04/tutorial-tuesday-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty top!! I would love to try something like this.
    www.blissfulsewing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can make $20 for a 20 minute survey!

    Guess what? This is exactly what big companies are paying me for. They need to know what their customer base needs and wants. So these companies pay millions of dollars every month to the average person. In return, the average person, like me and you, answers some questions and gives them their opinion.

    ReplyDelete